1. Name at least five essential parts of a shoe and explain their
2. What is the difference between hand-turned soles, Goodyear welt
soles, and McKay sewed soles? Which is the easiest to repair?
3. Properly wax the thread, and with two needles or waxed ends, mend
a pair of shoes that have rips in them. Use the double-stitch method
4. Make a paper pattern for a half sole and use it in cutting
leather or rubber composition half soles for a pair of shoes.
5. Satisfactorily half-sole a pair of shoes by nailing the soles on.
Make sure the nails are of the proper length.
6. Fit and attach a pair of rubber heels.
7. What kind of leather should be used in repairing the soles of
shoes? How is such leather generally tanned?
8. Specify at least three factors that should be taken into account
in the selection of shoes.
9. Write or tell the examiners the proper methods of cleaning and
caring for shoes.