Winter Camping (R-52)
|Lejrliv om vinteren
requirements for the Winter Camping Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Earn the Campcraft Honor.
- Make up a complete list of necessary camping equipment for
winter conditions, such as possible sub zero temperatures,
storms, and snow.
- Explain the principles of maintaining body warmth and dryness
through the proper use of clothing and sleeping gear under all
temperatures down to zero while traveling, resting, and sleeping.
- List and explain the characteristics of winter campsite
- Describe, or show where possible, the preparation of a level
tent site in snow and pitch a tent in winter conditions.
- Prepare a balanced three-day menu to be used in your winter
- Know how to get water from snow.
- Know five safety rules of winter camping.
- Explain the proper steps to take if stranded without equipment
in winter conditions.
- Show knowledge of an ability to prevent, recognize, and care
for mild frostbite, hypothermia, mild snow blindness, and
- Spend a total of six days and nights in cold weather camping.
- All nights should have temperature lows in the 40's.
- Two nights should have temperature lows below freezing.
- All nights should be spent in tents, tarps, or the open.