Wilderness Leadership (R-48)
requirements for the Wilderness Leadership Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Christian Leadership:
- Repeat and explain Psalm 121.
- Serve as a squad leader in a wilderness living campout.
- Demonstrate spiritual leadership of the squad to the
satisfaction of the director.
- Woodcraft Experience:
- Have the Wilderness Living honor.
- Have a current Basic First Aid certificate from the
International Red Cross.
- Earn the Edible Wild Plants honor.
- Have a personal survival kit of 25 items in a waterproof
belt pouch, and demonstrate the best use of each item.
- Earn the Rock Climbing honor.
- Earn the Campcraft and Pioneering honors.
- Woodcraft Leadership:
- Assist in teaching a group the principles of health and
safety to be used when camping (see Wilderness Living).
- Assist in teaching signalling and rescue.
- Teach a group the use of survival kit items.
- Assist in teaching one wilderness craft.
- Describe symptoms of dehydration, give minimum water
requirements, and demonstrate five methods of water
- Explain to a group what to do in two survival situations
if they were lost, stranded, or injured.
- Discuss survival techniques vital in jungle, desert, swamp,
mountain (rocks, ice, high altitude), temperate forest,
plain and tundra.
- Direct a search and rescue operation involving a hidden
- Explain how you would care for a small group stranded in
the spring or autumn.
- Receive approval from the wilderness leadership camp
director for your woodcraft leadership in camp.