requirements for the Swimming Honor are as follows:
Receive the Red Cross or YMCA certificate or equivalent in
Swimming OR pass the following requirements:
Skill Level 2
- Swim continuously in a coordinated and effective manner the
following strokes and distances:
- Breaststroke for 50 yards
- Sidestroke for 100 yards
- Back crawl for 50 yards
- Crawl for 100 yards
- Swim 25 yards continuously on the back, legs alone, using
either the inverted breaststroke kick or the inverted scissors
- Demonstrate an effective turn in a closed course on the
- Surface dive in good form to a depth of eight feet and swim a
minimum distance of 20 feet under water.
- In good form, do a pike and tuck surface dive.
- In good form, do a shallow plunge dive (racing start) and
continue in stroke.
- In good form, do a running front dive off both feet from a
deck and from a springboard.
- In good form, do a stride jump into deep water from the edge
of a pool or dock keeping the face above the surface of the
water at all times.
- In good form, do a snail scull for five yards.
- In good form, do a canoe scull for five yards.
- Using any or all of the strokes learned heretofore, swim
continuously for ten minutes.
- Demonstrate artificial resuscitation.
- Know the causes and prevention of accidents that can occur in
or near the water.