requirements for the Sailing Honor are as follows:
*These requirements should be done under the supervision of an adult.
- Have the Intermediate Swimming Honor.
- Know the "rules of the road" for boating.
- Know how weather conditions and high wave conditions can
affect safety and sailing performance.
- What safety precautions should be followed when sailing?
- With the help of a friend, do the following:
- Get a sailboat underway from a dock, mooring, or beach.
- Properly adjust sails for the following conditions:
- Beating the wind
- Beam reach
- Close reach
- Change tack by coming about and by jibing.
- Return the sailboat to a dock, moodng, or beach, and
prepare it for being unattended.
- Know how to tie and use the following knots in sailing:
- Clove hitch
- Two half-hitches
- Mooring hitch
- List ways to care for your sailing equipment throughout the
- Have a knowledge of at least 20 terms used in sailing and
- Identify at least 15 parts of a sailboat.
- Demonstrate the rescue of a person overboard.*
- Demonstrate what to do when a sailboat capsizes.*
A rescue boat should be ready to give assistance.
Skill Level 2