Rock Climbing (R-31)
requirements for the Rock Climbing Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Know and practice the safety precautions that should be
followed while rock climbing
- Be familiar with and demonstrate the use of the following
equipment: carabiners, pitons (various types), jam nuts (various
types), runners, and nylon climbing rope.
- Show how to care for and coil the climbing rope. Know how to
tie and use the following knots: bowline on a coil, bowline on a
bight, figure eight, ring bend, double fisherman's, and prussik.
- Know when to rope up into a rope team and type of rope team
movement for class three, four, and five climbing.
- Describe the six different classes of climbing and methods of
- Show how to static belay by belaying two climbers up in actual
climbing. Show knowledge of proper body positions, braking
surfaces, bracing and anchoring, and taking in the rope during
the use of static belaying.
- Know and use the following climbing signals: belay on,
climbing, climb, up rope, slack, tension, falling, rock, off
belay, belay off, belay to point.
- Using prussik knots and slings, ascend 25 feet of vertical
rope. Show how to use mechanical ascending devices such as
jumars, Gibbs ascenders, etc.
- Properly free climb up to 5.3 (F5) difficulty on two different
pitches a distance of at least 50 feet with an upper belay.
Understand and practice the following free climbing concepts:
rhythm, looking ahead, weight over the feet, balance climbing,
counterforce climbing, and jamming.
- Show how to set up a rappel. Rappel, using a body and
mechanical brake method and retrieving the rope. Do at least two