The requirements for the Horsemanship Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Label on an outline drawing of a horse, or point out on a live
horse a minimum of 30 different parts of a horse.
- Label on an outline drawing or point out on a real saddle, a
minimum of 10 parts of a Western saddle and nine parts of an
English saddle. Label on an outline drawing or point out on a
real bridle, a minimum of six parts of a Western bridle and
seven parts of an English bridle. Explain how to take care of
- Describe the purpose of, and wear, a riding helmet and boots (or
hard soled shoes with a heal) while working around horses and
- Describe and demonstrate three rules of safety in approaching
and catching a horse.
- Describe and demonstrate three rules of safety in leading a
horse and show where the safest place is to stand around a horse.
- Choose a safe place to tie a gentle horse, then demonstrate
how to tie a gentle horse with a quick release manger knot, or
bowline knot, demonstrating and explaining correct length of
rope and height from the ground to tie at.
- Demonstrate and explain how to correctly groom a gentle horse.
- Demonstrate and explain how to safely and correctly saddle and
bridle a gentle horse.
- Demonstrate and explain how to safely and correctly mount and
dismount a gentle horse, and demonstrate a safe, well-balanced
seat on a horse that is standing still.
- Demonstrate and explain how to safely start, stop and turn a
gentle horse at walk, using leg, weight, voice and rein aids.
- Demonstrate and explain a correct leg-up mounting procedure on
a bareback gentle horse that is standing quietly. Ride a gentle
bareback horse for a minimum of 30 cumulative minutes at the
walk, demonstrating good balance.
- Demonstrate and explain group safety consciousness while
riding a gentle horse with a minimum of one other rider.
Demonstrate correct spacing, reversing direction and passing
other riders in an arena setting, at the walk.
- Negotiate a simple three element trail obstacle course set up
on level ground, riding a gentle horse at the walk. Choose from:
- Step over log or pole, maximum height of 16"
- Pass between two barrels or bales of hay spaced 45"
- Zig-zag between poles set at 12 foot intervals
- Walk into a large key-hole (15 foot circle), turn and exit
without stepping on or crossing any border line
- Trail ride a gentle horse at the walk for a minimum of four
- Demonstrate and explain a minimum of three safety rules that
apply to group trail rides.