requirements for the Hiking Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Explain and demonstrate the main points of good hiking
practice, such as pacing, speed, resting, and etiquette.
- Explain the importance and method of proper foot care with
regard to cleanliness, care of nails, socks, shoe selection, and
first aid of tender or blistered feet.
- Make a list of proper clothing to be worn on a hike in both
hot and cool weather.
- Make a list of needed gear for a long day hike in the
wilderness and a short country hike.
- List five safety and courtesy rules to be used in wilderness
trail hiking and road hiking.
- Explain the importance of drinking water and list three signs
of contaminated water.
- Explain the importance of proper eating while hiking.
- Describe proper clothing and foot gear for cold and hot wet
- Submit a written plan for a 10-mile hike which includes: map
route, clothing list, equipment list, and water and/or food.
- Use a topographical map and/or a road map in planning and
doing one of the hikes in Requirement 11.
- Have the following hiking record:
- One five-mile rural hike
- One five-mile hike on a wilderness trail
- Two 10-mile day hikes on different routes
- One 15-mile hike on a wilderness trail
- Within a month of each hike, write a short report, giving
dates, routes covered, weather, and any interesting things