requirements for the Canoeing Honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Prerequisite: AY Honor in Intermediate Swimming.
- Demonstrate, first alone and then with companion, the proper
- Entering and launching a canoe (1) from a beach, (2) from
a landing dock or pier.
- Landing and leaving a canoe (1) on a beach, (2) on a
landing dock or pier.
- Accompanied by examining counselor, demonstrate correctly from
both bow and stern:
- The following strokes:
- Diagonal draw
- Half sweep
- Reverse half sweep
- Push over
- Full sweep
- Combination draw and J-stroke
- Make both right and left pivot turns without headway.
- Alone and with a companion in both the bow and stern, paddle a
canoe in a straight course for 100 yards. Turn right about and
left about. The paddle should be kept always on the same side of
the canoe. Demonstrate two kneeling positions for paddling.
- Demonstrate with canoe the rescue of a companion who has
capsized his canoe offshore by:
- Emptying the swamped canoe of water by drawing it upside
down across the gunwales of rescue canoe.
- Launch it again.
- Steady canoe while companion climbs aboard.
- Jump out of a canoe in deep water and get back in again in the
proper form without shipping water. (Candidate must be
accompanied by lifeguard in an equipped lifeboat.)
- With clothes on:
- Capsize a canoe in deep water.
- Right canoe and stow paddles and kneeling pad.
- Get in canoe filled with water and paddle with hands or
paddle for 25 yards.
- Disrobe, stow clothes and paddle, go overboard, hold on to
bow of canoe with one hand, swim and tow swamped canoe to
- Empty canoe properly and land it. (Candidate must be
accompanied by a lifeguard in an equipped lifeboat.)
- Fully satisfy the examiner of a thorough knowledge of safety
rules which will make the candidate a safe canoeist and
competent to take others out in a canoe. Promise to observe
these rules at all times.
- Explain how to do the following emergency repair work:
- Repairing a one-inch hole in fiberglass, canvas, and
- Repairing a broken paddle shaft.