requirements for the Small Fruit Growing honor are as follows:
- What are the soil requirements for growing bramble berries,
strawberries, grapes, and blueberries?
- Write a one-page report telling how to grow one of the above
fruits. Include the following:
- Variety selection
- Soil preparation
- Planting techniques
- Pruning (where applicable)
- Pest control
- Name three varieties of each fruit that will grow well in your
- Prune two blueberry bushes, two grape vines, or a ten-foot row
of bramble berries at the proper time in the family garden or
for a friend or neighbor.
- What is a perishable crop?
- How long can strawberries, bramble berries, blueberries, and
grapes be stored?
- Describe a serious insect or disease pest for each fruit.
Include when the problem occurs, damage caused, and chemical or
cultural treatments. Use as many pictures or drawings as
- Take a soil test from a garden and determine which fruits will
grow there. Ask for fertilizer recommendations for one of the
crops and determine the cost of fertilizer needed for 6 100-foot
This Honor involves the growing of fruits produced on plants,
brambles or vines. Fruits produced on trees are dealt with in the
Fruit Growing Honor (no.6).