requirements for the Advanced Maple Sugar honor are as follows:
Skill Level 3
- Have the Maple Sugar honor.
- Make at least five taps and boil down at least two quarts of
- Collect a leaf and bark from two maples.
- List two usages of the Sugar Maple other than Maple Sugaring.
- What do you look for in taping a maple tree?
- When is the right time to tap a maple tree in the spring?
- Name the four maples that produce sweet sap.
- What is the size of the drill bit? (2 sizes)
- How can sap spoil and how is it like milk?
- What is the maple sugaring legend?
- To make one quart of syrup, how many quarts of sap will you
- How can one tell if syrup is ready or near ready during
boiling without a thermometer or hydrometer?
- How did the early settlers become acquainted with maple
- You are to visit two sugar operations.
- Use three recipes and display them at Investiture time.
- Make one pound of maple sugar candy and explain how it was
- What is maple wax on snow?
- When the sap is yellow and/or moths collect in the buckets,
what does that usually mean?