requirements for the Maple Sugar honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- What part of the world and time of year does the maple sugar
industry exist and why?
- Explain how sweet sap is made by the maple tree and how it is
stored over the winter?
- Identify the Sugar Maple tree by its bark and leaf.
- How deep into a Maple tree does one drill for best results?
- How long does it take for a healthy Maple tree's tap hole to
- How close to an old tap hole can a new tap hole be made?
- How many taps can be made on a healthy Maple tree without
- 10" diameter tree
- 12" diameter tree
- 24" diameter tree
- 36" diameter tree
- How is Maple sugar made from Maple syrup?
- What is the ideal weather for sap to flow?
- Does a Maple tree crown (limb & leaf area) effect the sap
flow and sweetness?
- On an average, how much sap is needed to produce one gallon of
- Taste pure Maple syrup or Maple sugar.
- Observe and explain what each of the following Maple Sugaring
equipment is used for:
- Bucket cover