Weather Adv. (N-52)
requirements for the Advanced Weather honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Explain cyclonic and anitcyclonic weather conditions and know
how they bring about weather changes.
- What are cold fronts and warm fronts? How do they move and
what weather conditions do they produce?
- Explain the following weather conditions:
- Chinook winds
- Trade winds
- Belt of calms
- Squall line
- Ice storm
- Explain the action of a registering thermometer, registering
barograph, hygrometer, and an anemometer. Identify each
personally or from pictures.
- Correctly read a daily weather map as published by the
National Weather Service, explaining the symbols and telling how
predictions are made.
- What is meant by relative humidity and dewpoint?
- Draw a cross section of the atmosphere, showing its five
layers. Describe each layer.
- Keep a daily weather chart for three weeks to include the
- Amount of precipitation
- Barometer reading
- Cloud formation
- High and low temperature
- Dew or frost in the morning
- Wind speed and direction
- National Weather Service forecast and compare forecast
with what really happened.