requirements for the Weather honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Explain how each of the following is formed:
- Identify either in the sky or from pictures five different
types of clouds and know what kind of weather is associated with
- Explain the action of a mercury or spirit thermometer, a
mercury barometer, an aneroid barometer, and a rain gauge.
- Why is it rainy on the west side of the Pacific coast
mountains and dry on the east side?
- Why is it cooler and more moist in the mountains than in the
- Show with the help of a diagram how the earth's relationship
to the sun produces the four seasons.
- What causes lightning and thunder? What different kinds of
lightning are there?
- Show with the help of a diagram what convection is. What is
its relation to winds?
- Explain how radar, satellites, and computers are used in
- Tell how the following can affect our weather:
- Jet stream
- Volcano eruption
- Make a drawing showing the water cycle in weather.
- Make a simple wind vane or rain gauge.
- Keep a weather chart for one week and record readings at
12-hour intervals. Include the following:
- Moisture (dew, fog, rain, frost, or snow)
- Cloud formation
- Wind direction