requirements for the Advanced Trees honor are as follows:
Skill Level 3
- Collect, identify, press, and mount leaves of 35 different
species of trees.
- Separately collect, press, mount, and label specimens that
demonstrate the following terms:
- Doubly serrate
- Pinnately compound
- Triple compound (if possible)
- Describe the advantages in using the Latin or scientific names.
- Of what use are the two parts of a scientific name?
- Name six families of trees in the angiosperm class and three
families in the gymnosperm class.
- Know and describe the function of leaves in the life of a tree.
- Name the families of trees in your area which have opposite
- Define the following terms:
- Annual ring
- What families of trees have the following:
- Winged seeds
- Identify ten deciduous trees by their winter characteristics,
including such as twig, bud, characteristic form, and growth