requirements for the Trees honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Describe the ways in which trees and shrubs differ.
- Collect and identify typical leaves from 15 different trees.
Spread neatly, press dry, mount, and label in a suitable
notebook or on uniform-size sheets of paper.
- Name two examples each of trees that have been named for the
- What they are used for
- The surroundings or environment in which they grow
- Some distinctive feature
- The geographic region in which they live
- Persons who first found and described them
- Give the common name and tell the difference between the two
great classes of trees.
- Describe the importance of forest conservation in your area.
- Name several examples of the kinds of wood used in each of the
- Flooring for houses
- Common plywood
- Ax handles
- Fence posts
- Railroad ties
- Support beams for construction work
- Bows and arrows
- Ideal for use as kindling
- Burns slowly and leaves a bed of hot coals
- Name two examples each of trees which:
- Grow best in wet or marsh places
- Grow best at high levels in mountains