requirements for the Shrubs honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Note three characteristics of shrubs that distinguish them
from trees and herbs. Why is a grape vine sometimes regarded as
- Name three important wild or cultivated food shrubs of your
locality. Name a shrub that produces edible nuts.
- Name two cultivated shrubs and two wild shrubs of your
locality that produce showy flowers.
- Do most shrubs blossom in the spring, summer, or autumn? Name
one shrub whose flowers oepn before the leaves appear.
- What parasitic shrub frequently used for indoor decoration
grows on the high branches of different kinds of trees?
- Give an example of a shrub whose leaves in autumn turn from
green to brilliant shades of yellow, orange, or red.
- Observe some shrub which is in bloom and list as many kinds of
insects as you can (at least three) which come to its blossoms
for pollen or nectar.
- From what shrubs do birds prefer to eat the fruit or seeds?
Name a shrub which attracts hummingbirds.
- In what shrubs do birds prefer to build their nests?
- Collect, preserve, and correctly identify the flowers, leaves,
seeds, seed pods, or twigs with buds of ten wild shrubs.