Moths and Butterflies (N-33)
requirements for the Moths & Butterflies honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- What is the difference between butterflies and moths? Give at
least two differentiating characteristics.
- Define the following terms: antennae, cocoon, pupa,
- What causes colored powder to come off on your hands when you
handle the wings of butterfly or moth? Examine the powder of a
butterfly or moth with a magnifying lens and describe your
- Name three harmful tree moths and one harmful house moth and
tell what damage they do and in what stage of their life they
each do their damage.
- What common North American butterfly migrates south for the
winter and back north again for the summer?
- Describe the protective coloration exemplified by the Viceroy
- Make a list of 25 butterflies and moths that you personally
have identified in the out of doors. For each species
included on your list, you must make an identifiable drawing or
take a photograph which can be identified to species. Also for
each butterfly and/or moth on your list, include the following
- Date observed
- Time of day
- Plant on which the insect was feeding or the material on
which it was perched
- Describe the life cycle of a butterfly or moth and tell what
spiritual lesson can be learned in connection with the
resurrection of the righteous.