requirements for the Insects honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Do one of the following:
- Make a collection of 20 species of insects representing at
least six different orders. (No moths or butterflies and no
carelessly mounted specimens will be acceptable.)
- Place on each specimen a label showing the locality
where caught, the date caught, and the collector's name.
Labels should not be larger than 1/4" x 3/4".
- Identify insects with common names on second labels to
be mounted below the first.
- Arrange all specimens neatly in an insect box
according to orders. Orders should be pinned to the box
rather than attached to the individual insect pins.
- Make colored drawings or paintings of 20 species of
insects, representing at least six different orders.
Drawings or paintings need to be life size or larger, to
show the details of small insects, and in natural coloring.
Label the drawings with common names.
- Take color pictures of 20 species of insects, representing
at least six different orders. All pictures should be
close-ups and properly labelled, showing where photographed,
the date photographed, and the common name.
- What are the distinguishing characteristics of an insect?
- Name five species of injurious insects and tell how to control
- Name five species of useful insects.
- Tell two Bible stories in which insects played an important