House Plants (N-24)
requirements for the House Plants honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Name at least five house plants raised for their foliage.
- Name three house plants raised for their flowers.
- Name three house plants adapted to direct sunlight, dry soils,
and very moist soils.
- Name one house plant that requires a cool room (45 to 55
- Prepare a potting mix, using one part each of the following:
topsoil, peat moss, and perlite. Select two house plants and
grow them for three months. Water and fertilize them, and treat
them for pests if necessary.
- How are bulbs forced to bloom indoors during the winter?
- How much light does an African violet need? Where in the house
is the best place to grow them?
- Name two house plants that can be propagated by each of the
following methods: stem sections, leaf or leaf petiole cuttings,
air layering, and divisions. Successfully propagate two house
plants using two of these methods.
- What is a Bonsai?
- What is a foot-candle? How does it relate to house plant
- What is humidity? How is it important to house plants?
- Grow at least five of the following house plants:
- African violets
- Aluminium plant
- Boston fern
- Piggy-back plant
- Bird's nest fern
- Spider plant
- Maidenhair fern