requirements for the Grasses honor are as follows:
Skill Level 3
- What characteristics must a plant have to qualify as a grass?
- What kind of roots do all grasses have?
- About how many species around the world are there in the grass
family called Gramineae or poaceae?
- Do the seeds of grasses have two halves as does the bean (a
dicotyledon), or does the seed consist of just one part as do
the lily, date, and coconut (monocotyledons)?
- What unique characteristic in the growth of grass leaves makes
it possible for the plant to flourish even though continually
mowed or grazed?
- Name three annual grasses, that is, grasses that sprout from
seeds, blossom, bear seeds, and then die the same summer.
- Name three perennial grasses, that is, grasses whose roots
live on from year to year, although the top dies down to the
crown each fall.
- In each of the following cases name a single grass, or more
where indicated, from which the product is made:
- Bread (three grasses)
- Fishing poles
- Grain alcohol (two grasses)
- White flour
- Collect and correctly label ten cultivated grasses.
- Press or dry, mount, and correctly label the flower stalks or
seed stalks of five pestiferous grasses that are commonly
considered to be weeds.
- In addition to your collection of flower or seed stalks of
pestiferous kinds, press or dry, mount, and correctly name the
flower stalks or seed stalks of ten additional grasses that grow
in your neighborhood.