requirements for the Geology honor are as follows:
Skill Level 1
- Give the geological meaning of the following words:
- Sand spit
- Oxbow lake
- Alluvial fan
- Describe the following:
- A shield-type volcano as compared to a composite volcano.
- How a glacier moves and what evidences it leaves behind.
- How sediments are laid down by water.
- The different types of mountains.
- Why a river or stream bank often keeps caving in on the
outside of a bend.
- Know what category of rocks (sedimentary, metamorphic, or
igneous) the following rocks are:
- Take a picture or make a sketch of each of the following
- A bed of sediment that is coarser at the bottom and finer
toward the top. (This is called normal graded bedding).
- Ripple marks in sand or mud. (Show with an arrow the
current direction if possible.)
- Gulley erosion.
- Mud cracks. (These can usually be found after a heavy rain
or flood when mud starts to dry.)
- Soil profile along a stream bank or road out. (You should
be able to see how soil usually becomes lighter colored
downward from the surface of the ground.)
- Sand bar. (Sand bars can be found in rivers or streams, or