og forklar udtrykkene . . .
The requirements for the Environmental Conservation honor are as
What is the difference between ecology and environmental
Write to the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Vital
Statistics for pamphlets on human population growth. Read to
determine how the increase in human population is threatening our
existence on earth. Write a paragraph describing what could be
done to solve the problem.
Find out what has happened to cause the 'death' of Lake Erie.
Carry out a stream investigation of a small stream flowing
through or near your community. Check for the following:
- Signs of Purity
- Abundance of small fish present.
- Water visually clear and fresh smelling.
- Stream banks covered with vegetation down to water's
- Small amounts of green algae in water (light green in
- Some aquatic plants present such as cattails, arrowleaf,
or pickerel weed.
- Turtles present in the stream.
- Crayfish under stones in the stream.
- Sandbars covered with growing weeds indicating
relatively stable water level.
- Signs of Stream Deterioration and Death
- Large masses of blue-green algae present (dark green in
- Scoured banks from high water level during storms.
- Putrid smell of the water.
- Detergent foam present.
- Trash sticking out of mud and sand bars along the stream.
- Water loaded with silt.
- No aquatic insects or fish present.
- Presence of raw sewage.
- Presence of oil on the surface of the water.
- No salamanders or frogs under rocks along stream bank.
- Stores or small factories dumping their wastes into the
If your stream is showing some of the above signs of death, do
something about cleaning it up. Organize a group of young people
to help in clearing the stream. If possible, get businessmen to
help in your campaign.
Make a visit to the city or county trash dump to see how this
waste is handled. Find out the following:
- How many tons of trash are dumped daily? Yearly?
- What attempts are made to recycle any of this trash?
- Is any of the trash burned or is all of it buried?
- What is the cost per person per year for handling the trash?
- What happens to junked autos in your area?
Make a visit to the nearest sewage plant. Draw and label a
detailed diagram of what happens to the liquid and solid wastes
from the time they come into the plant until they leave. In what
do they leave? Is any further use made of this waste?
Visit the nearest water purification plant. Construct a flow
diagram of the steps in water purification from the time the water
enters the plant until it leaves for distribution to homes and
stores. Through reading and discussion with water works officials,
determine whether water resources in the future are going to be
enough to meet the demand.
Read and write a book report on Rachel Carson's book, Silent
What are rare and endangered species? Determine what efforts are
being put forth to protect such species in your area. What can you
do to help? Write a 250-word paper on your ideas.
Skill Level 2