requirements for the Ecology honor are as follows:
Skill Level 2
- Construct a diagram of fresh-water pond ecosystem with
pasted-on animal cutouts.
- Pick one mammal, bird, reptile, and amphibian from your home
environment, and for each construct a diagram of its ecological
- Know the meaning of the following terms:
- Food chain
- Ecological succession
- Climax community
- Make detailed field observations and a careful library book
study of the habitat of some small animal in your own
environment. Write a report of about 700 words, half from your
field observations and half from your book study.
- Define an ecosystem and state what the basic biological and
physical factors are that keep it a balanced system.
- Check for one week the daily paper of the nearest large city
for the air pollution level. Plot a curve of this level on graph
paper. Find out what caused any peaks in your curve.
- List ten ways in which you might actively work to improve the
environment in which you live. Put four of these into practice.
- Find a Spirit of Prophecy quotation and a Bible text pertinent
to ecology, and be able to explain their relevance and
application to our day.