requirements for the Genealogy honor are as follows:
- What is genealogy?
- Genealogy is the study of family history. An account of
the descent of a person, family. The study of family
- Define a primary source versus a secondary source for
- A primary Source is the original document (such as a
marrage record, death record, land record, tombstone). A
Secondary Source is often a compilation of a group of
records (such as the marriage records of Clay County
Missouri 1840-1870, cemetery records book, etc). Secondary
Sources are prone to errors or omissions but are sometimes
more easily accessible. A Primary Source is the best choice
if you are able to view it.
- Demonstrate a census extraction for each of the following
a. 1790-1840 (1 of these)
- See Census Extraction Forms. (under construction)
- Show a pedigree chart you have filled out for 5 generations.
List the information you have been unable to learn and what
efforts you have made to locate this information.
- See example pedigree chart. (under construction)
- Show 20 family group records you have filled out and the
documentation notes to go with the family group records.
- See example family group record and documentation. (under
- What is the purpose of documentation?
- To provide factual or substantial support for statements
made or a hypothesis proposed. To allow analysis of evidence
of facts stated. To provide a cross reference if you find a
conflict in your research.
- Write a query for more information that you might submit to a
magazine or periodical on one of your family lines.
- Example Query: Name of Pathfinder, Address. Searching
for Descendants of Cornelius GILLIAM, born 1793 NC, married
Mary CRAWFORD in 1821 in Clay Co. Missouri. Migrated to
Oregon in 1844. Look for dates of birth, marriage
information, death information, migration information to
provide points of reference for those reading query.
- Describe the filing system you use to organize the material
you collect on your family.
- Filing can be done in a variety of ways. There are many
"correct" answers to this question. The goal is to
make sure the Pathfinder has a system thought out. Some
exampes may be: File documents/letters in files labeled with
the main surnames in my family tree. File documents by date
received and make a list of associated surnames they
- Write a letter to a relative requesting further information on
Skill Level 2