1. Relate briefly the story of barter, showing three reasons why
money came into being and naming at least ten unusual forms of money
used in place of currency.
2. Relate briefly the history of coinage and/or paper currency in
your country, making sure to mention the dates of the establishment of
any mints or engraving plants. Also discover some changes made in
metals or designs giving any interesting highlights concerning such
3. Explain how money is distributed by the government in your
4. Define any of the following terms as they may apply to your
country’s monetary system:
a. Alloy i. Obverse
b. Cast coins j. Reeded edge
c. Clad coinage
e. Die m. Overprint
f. Field n. Counterfeit
g. Inscription o. Magnetic strip
h. Lettered edge p. Florescent ink
5. Describe the obverse and reverse for paper money of the six lowest
denominations currently in use in your country.
6. Know how coins are graded in quality by collectors.
7. Have a coin or notes from ten different countries. Describe what
is on each, give the names of any people or objects portrayed on them,
and give the dates for them whenever possible.
8. Do one of the following:
a. Collect at least five coins or notes from your country which are
no longer in circulation.
b. Collect a date series of coins from your country beginning with
your birth year (expensive and rare coins need not be included)
Skill Level 2